CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Scarlet Letter and other such nonsense

I have a paper due monday. I have to turn in my first paragraph tomorrow. I really don't know why I have to turn in a paragraph, we never have had to for this professor before. Well, it forces me not to procrastinate. We had six topics to choose from, and I picked this:


Compare/contrast Dimmesdale and Chillingworth and their roles in the book’s symbolic and other meanings.  In what ways are they like/unlike? For example, in what ways do both of them hide from the law or take it into their own hands? In what ways might they both “loath” (1430) themselves? What might Chillingworth’s misshapen shoulder and the physical marks on Dimmesdale’s body symbolize? How are their sins like/unlike? In what ways is Arthur redeemed (or not) at the end? Why isn’t Chillingworth given a chance at redemption? Compare/contrast the two men’s fates with Hester’s return in chapter 24. What do you think are Hawthorne’s points in contrasting these three fates?

This was the easiest one. Trust me. After sophomore year of high school I thought I was done with the Scarlet Letter. But here I am, almost three years later and I have to analyze the bloody book AGAIN. Come to think of it, the paper I wrote on the Scarlet Letter back then wasn't even graded because my teacher's basement flooded and all the papers were ruined. I doubt that I will have the same luck this time.

In other news, I have started my Christmas knitting! Almost all of my female family members are receiving hand knit dishcloth sets. Very exciting, I know. I have one done, and I have just started the second one today. Here is all the yarn I bought for the project, artfully arranged on my windowsill:
 
I'd rather be knitting, but I think I'll start my paper so I can get some sleep tonight. 

1 comments:

Josh said...

1) I love the pictures
2) my motives are devious.
3) "Come to think of it, the paper I wrote on the Scarlet Letter back then wasn't even graded because my teacher's basement flooded and all the papers were ruined." or Lopez is a lazybutt :)

<3